Tuesday, October 19, 2004

I started a UPS shipment yesterday (10/18/2004) and it gave me a chance to use it's tracking system. Watching the package progress makes my very excited. It's amazing to see it actually travels so many miles and reaches it's destination. But it's not cheap for seeing the package progress. 500+ NT.
Before making the shipment, I studied several international shipping company's web site, including DHL and FedEx and concluded that UPS has a better user interface then the other two. Comparing drop off locations, DHL partners with 7-11 and UPS partners with FamilyMart but FedEx seems to establish it's own.
I actually asked for a DHL envelope in a 7-11 near my home. It's free to get. The reason why I decided not to use DHL is the receiver column of it's shipment form says 'DHL cannot deliver to a PO Box' and my destination is a PO Box. (I found out later that there is an address for overnight mail, which is not a PO Box.) I asked again in a FamilyMart near my workplace for the UPS shipment. After filled up the form, I noticed that there was no envelope with it. I knew the answer later when I gave it to the store worker. After 911, UPS only allows a store employee to seal the envelope so the content can be screened. They also have to make a copy of my ID for making sure I am the real shipper. (DHL declares it has the right to inspect a shipment without prior notice to Shipper, so it has an envelope with the form.)
To make the whole system working, the shipment, the tracking and all, the infrastructure must be big and complex, but is it elegant? That's what I am really interested.

No comments: