Monday, April 24, 2006

Polonius: Do you know me, my lord?
Hamlet: Excellent well. You are a fishmonger.
Polonius: Not I, my lord.
Hamlet: Then I would you were so honest a man.

My parents are fishmongers. They own a stall at Huannan Market, the largest traditional market in Taipei. In fact, there are other relatives working at the same market: My father's oldest brother owns a chicken stall; another older brother owns a vegetable stall; and an older sister owns a fish stall. As far as I know, two of their stalls have been passed on to their children, or my cousins. Although my parents do not literally make fish flying like the fishmongers do in the world famous Pike Place Fish Market, their dexterity in handling fish is beyond any doubt.
Anyway, "fishmonger" is the occupation of my parents that I will write in the Health History/Immunization form.

No comments: