Saturday, May 31, 2008

When I was on board the flight UA 871, from San Francisco to Taipei, across the Pacific Ocean, Dennis, my college roommate and classmate, and his wife had been in the latent phase of their first childbirth for more than 30 hours. Around 1AM, their doctor informed them that they would need to make a decision to go for a c-section because an assisted delivery had become more and more unlikely. After a half-hour deliberation, they made the decision. At 2:06AM, on May 31st, 2008, their son was born. In a rare, 1/365 chance, their son and I share the same birthday. That's enough reason for me to visit them in Taichung the next morning I arrived in Taipei.

2 comments:

A Cat Named Erin said...

I totally agree that's enough reason to visit the little boy who has the same birthday as you.Even now,I just remember one of my classmates whose birthday is the same as mine every time when my birthday comes. Just like what you said,the chance is only 1/365..:)For the reason,the relation between us becomes so special.

Allen Hsu said...

I did a little calculation: there are about 23 million people in Taiwan; that means, in average, roughly 63,000 people share the same birthday. That is quite a large number.