Monday, March 28, 2011

Zhao Yun's avatar in the first version of video game, Romance of Three Kingdoms
Zhao Yun
In the past few weeks, I found myself engrossed by an e-book version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature.

If my memory serves me right, it must be during junior high school that I first read the novel. I have to admit, however, that I read the novel not as a fanatic of history but video games, because knowing the background stories was the key method to better enjoy playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms, a strategy game series by Koei. That was quite a long time ago, but I still remember vividly those characters who have better IQ and/or power points. For example, Zhuge Liang has the highest IQ of 100 points, and Lü Bu has the highest power of 100 points.  My favorite character, Zhao Yun, has the highest IQ and power points combined.

Now playing video/computer games is no longer my daily routines, but reading this historical novel has itself become an enjoyment. I am amazed that an novel more than 700 years old could have such long lasting impact.

No comments: