Thursday, November 04, 2004

I have followed The Man Booker Prize for several years. The 2004 winner is Alan Hollinghurst for his fourth novel, The Line of Beauty. The prize is one of world's most prestigious awards for fiction and I think it should be a good guidance for me if I would like to read some interesting books in English. Amazon has a complete list for all the shortlisted books and that's where I bought a dozen of them. My first one, which was not bought on-line, is The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje. The book first caught my attention because of the beautifully adopted silver screen version made by Anthony Minghella. The movie was also a big winner of Oscar in 1997. Two other good adoptions from prize winning books are Schindler's List by Steven Spielberg and The Remains of the Day by James Ivory. But not every adaptation is a big success like the three just mentioned. I have also seen "Oscar and Lucinda" and "Possession" both in book and movie. Although the movies are less then success, it's still fun to observe the differences between the two forms.
The official web site also mentioned that the 2002 Man Booker winner, Life of Pi, has been optioned for film and M Night Shyamalan will write the screenplay and direct. The book is so great and fun to watch and the director is so creative with his previous films that I am looking forward to the movie to become another good adoption.

No comments: