Thursday, March 17, 2005

There was a magician, Chung Ling Soo, who died when doing his trick in 1918. I am not really a fan of magic performances or magicians. I was simply curious about why an American-born magician would use a Chinese stage name. To find out an answer for my question, I ventured into more relevant links found in Wikipedia and Google search results, which brought me to a Chinese magician, Ching Ling Foo, whose popularity apparently inspired William Robinson to took a similar Chinese name. I had never heard of Chin Ling Foo, in spite of the international fame during his pinnacle. However, with the help of Google search, I found a well-written introduction (in Chinese) of the mysterious magician. The article is so helpful to me that makes me wonder why there was no corresponding article in Chinese version Wikipedia. Therefore I decided to create one myself.
It's my first article, although a reproduced one, on Wikipedia. Through actual participation, I realize the challenges the wikipedians facing today. IMHO, most important one is the copyright issue. In order to reproduce the article, I wrote an email asking for permission from the original author, who grant me the right with celerity. This is an easy case, but I believe there are difficult and complex ones. Aside from all the challenges, it feels good to be part of the efforts to build a free encyclopedia.

No comments: