Thursday, January 06, 2005

After quite a long hiatus, I began to read Booker prize winning novel again. It's "The Sea, the Sea" by Iris Murdoch this time. I remember a movie I saw called Iris, which portraits the author's life with her husband. There is a scene that touched me the most. With Alzheimer's disease, the author didn't know she actually wrote novels when looking at her desk that full of books and papers, but her husband still tried to convince her about that.
I just finished the first chapter of the book, Prehistory, from page 1 to page 87 and already fascinated by it's simple yet powerful and insightful story, which mainly about a retired theatre director writing his memoir in a seaside house called Shruff End.
Here is a sentence quoted from page 72. It's in French, but thanks to Google language tool, I know it's meaning now. It's used to describe the feeling about a friend of the protagonist.
elle n'a qu'une faute, elle est insupportable.

No comments: