Sunday, January 23, 2005

"The Sea, The Sea" is incorporated with an introduction by Mary Kinzie, who began her article by describing a portrait of Iris Murdoch, entitled "Dame Iris Murdoch". I wish I didn't try to read the introduction in the first place because it simply didn't entice me into reading the book. The novel itself, on the contrary, is interesting to read with those humorous and sometimes serious incidents that happened around the protagonist, Charles Arrowby, who appeared to be a good planner with creative imagination during his retired life in a house by the sea, but his big plan to rescue his first love was not fruitful. Perhaps affected by the story, I too fancied to have a house myself, so I could be visited by friends and relatives, just like the protagonist, but I am certainly not to be obsessed by my first love (which one was it, I wonder.)
From an English learner's perspective, the book is much easier to read then my previous one, so I was able to finish it within three weeks, during which I spent several morning reading it, after having my breakfast in a Burger King near my office and before I went to work. It's a good place and a good time to read. Sometimes I deeply indulged in the story and let myself late for work.
  • Read also my previous post about the same topic, when I finished the first chapter of the book.

No comments: